Alliance Designer Products Inc. has introduced to the market a revolutionary technology that will save time, labor and money when installing concrete pavers and natural stones. With the new Gator Base panel, you can save 6 inches of extra excavation, long hours for installation and the transportation of tons of aggregate. This technology exhibits the polypropylene memory characteristics and allows the material to retain its original shape. Alliance Designer Products Inc. is now using this technology in their Gator Base panel for the hardscaping industry. An exhaustive and serious evaluation was made in collaboration with the Université du Québec’s engineering institute (ETS), in the laboratory of their Pavements and bituminous materials department, in order to characterize compare the Gator Base panels to a traditional method of paving stone installation with aggregate. 2 Gator Base Thermal Insulation Since the Gator Base panels have a high thermal resistance (it would take nearly 15.7 inches of 0-3/4” dry stone, compacted to a porosity of 20% to equal the insulation provided by a single layer of Gator Base panels), it can be assumed that there would be better frost protection with the Gator Base than with the usual additional 6-inch aggregate base. In this case, similar movement for both of these systems would be observed after freeze-thaw cycles. The system with the Gator Base panels works best for patios and walking paths made with concrete pavers. The subgrade soil should be compacted to at least 95% of the modified Proctor density; a geotextile fabric is needed on top of the subgrade and bedding sand should be used to ensure a smooth and uniform surface. 3 Gator Base Drainage Features The results obtained during the “Bench test” study on a concrete paver system with a granular base (standard 6 inches of aggregate), versus the Gator Base panel as a base are very interesting. The main reason for using gravel
- Save 6 inches of needless excavation Save 6 inches of crushed stone Save the cost of truck and driver on the road Save on costly dumping fees Save wear and tear on machinery Save on labor costs Save overall installation time Increase profit For pedestrian use only
- Built to Last Better Load Transfer Better Freeze and Thaw Protection.
- Equivalent to 288 lbs (130 kg) of crushed stone Replaces 6 in (15 cm) of compacted crushed stone Evacuates water through the channel
- Manufactured using lightweight high-density polypropylene Environment-friendly and 100% recyclable Extremely durable, will not degrade in the ground
- Final dimensions at installation: 23.5 in x 35.5 in = 5.79 sq ft, ¾ in thick, weight = 1.32 lbs each 59.7 cm x 90.2 cm = 0.54 sq m, 19 mm thick, weight = 0.6 kg each